Nutrient Supercharge Recipe
Lemony Lentil and Potato Chowder
Photo taken by VegHealth team
If you’re craving a dish that’s the perfect blend of comforting and refreshing, you’re going to LOVE this Lemony Lentil
and Potato Chowder!
You can have this Mediterranean dish on the dinner table in under an hour, and thanks to its powerhouse dose of
nutrients, it’ll leave you feeling like the Greek goddess or god that you are!
It’s a fan favorite from the Calcium module in our Vegan Nutrition Mastery Program because the kale in it is high in
QUICK TIP: As we explain in our Vegan Nutrition Guide, many calcium-containing foods are also high in oxalic acids,
which reduce calcium absorption. To make sure you’re absorbing plenty of calcium for strong bones, it’s important
to add in foods that are high in calcium and low in oxalic acids, such as kale, bok choy, and broccoli.
The red lentils in this nourishing soup are also packed with magnesium and break down nicely while the soup
simmers, making them easy to digest.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family so they can also enjoy this cozy comfort food and get
a boost of calcium to boot!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (careful not to burn)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water mixed with 3 teaspoons soup and stock mix OR 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups unpeeled diced potatoes, red look nice but any will work
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large stockpot.
- Add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, broth, tomatoes, and potatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for about 35 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Puree the mixture with a hand blender. (optional)
- Add the greens and cook 5 more minutes until they are wilted.
- Stir in the lemon zest and juice and the mint.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
Share your recipe photos with #nutrientsupercharge
Protect Yourself Against 6 Common
Get your free nutrition guide and Nutrient Supercharge recipes: