Nutrient Supercharge Recipe
Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
Photo taken by VegHealth team
Get ready for a new family favorite! These Black Bean Quinoa Burgers will make you think you’ve been transported to a backyard summer BBQ, yet you can enjoy them year-round with just 20 minutes in the oven.
The fresh herbs and aromatics make these burgers packed with flavor, which is why they’re a big hit in the Protein module of our Vegan Nutrition Mastery Program.
QUICK TIP: As we explain in our Vegan Nutrition Guide, plant foods actually do have all of the essential amino acids found in animal protein, but the amounts of one or two amino acids are often low in each food. When you eat a well-rounded blend of plant-based protein (such as quinoa and black beans) you’re almost certain to get enough of all nine essential acids.
Know anyone else who loves burgers? We’re willing to bet the answer is yes 🙂 Share this protein-packed recipe so that more people can enjoy these nutrient supercharged delights! Top with some plant-based cheese and your omnivore friends won’t even miss the meat!
- ¾-1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1½ cups cooked black beans (reserve liquid)
- ½ cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, basil or cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt, if using fresh-cooked beans, rather than canned
- 2 Tablespoons hemp seed, optional
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed or rolled oats (to help with binding)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Put the quinoa, beans, onion, and oats in the food processor (or mash by hand). Pulse a few times until slightly mixed (keep some chunks). Add the garlic, herbs, yeast, and salt, if using. Pulse again, adding 1-2 tablespoons bean liquid or vegetable stock if it is dry.
- Stir in hemp seeds. Form into patties. If the mixture doesn’t feel thick enough, add more quinoa and combine again.
- Bake on baking sheet (oiled or with parchment paper) for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake another 10 minutes.
Recipe created by Jill Nussinow, R.D., with modifications
Share your recipe photos with #nutrientsupercharge
Vegan Mastery Program
Learn how to prepare quick and easy nutritious vegan meals, so you can thrive on a vegan lifestyle. Lessons come from top doctors, registered dietitians and other health experts across the world who are ready to help you master a vegan diet and avoid any pitfalls that can lead to deficiencies and health concerns.