In this Nutrition Bite, we want to share a delightfully rich cancer-fighting vegan cheesecake recipe from 15 Delicious Desserts For Avoiding & Fighting Cancer!
Cancer-Fighting Ingredients: It’s all about Antioxidants
Cancer has long been one of the leading causes of death in humans worldwide.
According to the World Health Organization, “about one-third of cancer deaths are due to the five leading behavioral and dietary risks: high body mass index, low fruit and vegetable intake, physical inactivity, tobacco use, and alcohol use, and are therefore preventable.” 
The ultimate tool we can use to prevent and fight cancer is something called “antioxidants”.
As their name implies, antioxidants are molecules that combat oxidation in our bodies. This is crucial because too much oxidation, or “oxidative stress”, leads to increased risk of DNA damage, heart disease and…you guessed it: cancer.
Vitamin C and Vitamin E are the 2 best known cancer-fighting antioxidants, along with carotenoids, a precursor to Vitamin A. Per the Mayo Clinic, “other naturally occurring antioxidants include flavonoids, tannins, phenols and lignans.” 
Where can we find these incredible cancer-fighting warriors? Plant-based foods, of course!
Just look at how many antioxidants are packed in the ingredients of the cancer-fighting cheesecake recipe below:
Vitamin C: Coconut milk, lemon
Vitamin E: Coconut milk, almonds, walnuts
Carotenoids: Dates, cashews
Phenols: Dates, cinnamon, lemon, cashews, almonds, walnuts
Aren’t plants amazing?! Whole grains, veggies, fruit, spices, nuts and seeds (including cacao beans, which are actually seeds!) all contain antioxidants…
Which is just one of the many reasons why it’s so vital to get a large quantity and variety of plant based foods in your diet.
And we can think of no better place to start that with a scrumptious vegan dessert! Enjoy!
Recipe: Health-Wise Berry Nut Cheesecake (Vegan)
1/2 cup raw, organic almonds
1 cup pitted organic dates, soaked in warm water
1 cup raw, organic walnuts
1 TSP Ceylon cinnamon
1 pinch of sea salt
2 cups raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and rinsed
1 organic lemon, juiced (or 1 TBSP bottled lemon juice)
1/4 cup organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (include the cream)
1/4 cup honey or agave nectar. (Liquid stevia may also be used)
1 TSP pure, unsweetened vanilla extract
- Line a 9” spring-form pan with parchment paper.
- Place the drained and rinsed dates into a food processor or blender. Blend until soft, then set. Set aside in a bowl.
- Now add the almonds, walnuts, cinnamon and sea salt to the food processor or blender. Process until you have a meal-like texture.
- Add the dates back in with the nut meal. Mix together until a dough-like mixture is formed.
- Press the mixture into your lined pan. Make sure it’s pressed firmly and evenly. Place the pan in the freezer.
- Add all the filling ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- Mix until your mix is silky smooth. (A hand mixer is fine, too)
- Take your freezer-chilled base out of the freezer and fill it with the cashew “cream cheese” mixture.
- Let it set in the freezer for approximately 5 hours to firm up (But not much longer, as you don’t want it to completely freeze!)
- Garnish with mint, your choice of berries or the blueberry sauce.
Want more recipes that fight cancer while satisfying your sweet tooth?
Click here to grab your F.REE copy of the recipe book, 15 Delicious Desserts For Avoiding & Fighting Cancer!
(As a note, 99% of these recipes are vegan, and with just a few simple swaps, they all can be!)