3 Delicious Vegan Dessert Recipes for Valentine's Day
Happy Valentine’s Day! In this Nutrition Bite, we’re giving you 3 brand new recipes, suitable for the sweetheart… or the sweet tooth in your life!
We’ve got a smoothie “bowl”, cake and even cookies for ya and they all feature a really special and beneficial raw cacao.
You already know cacao is a superfood, including being a fab source of antioxidants, “happiness” alkaloids phenylethylamine, theobromine, and anandamide, as well as fiber, magnesium and iron.
But did you know raw cacao has 40X more antioxidants than blueberries??
(See our last Nutrition Bite for all the nutrition info on raw cacao, and why you need a really good RAW cacao over cocoa for health benefits.)
These recipes are a DELICIOUS way to incorporate this nutritional powerhouse and get all the benefits.
Very Valentine Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- Toppings of your choice (e.g. fresh berries, coconut flakes, chopped nuts)
1. In a blender, add the banana, frozen strawberries, almond milk, raw cacao powder, vanilla extract, almond butter, and chia seeds.
2. Blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
3. Pour the smoothie mixture into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy the delicious and nutritious blend of raw cacao and fresh fruit!
This smoothie bowl is a perfect breakfast or snack option that is both satisfying and full of healthy nutrients. The raw cacao powder is a rich source of antioxidants, while the chia seeds add an extra boost of protein and fiber. So go ahead, treat yourself to this delicious and nutritious vegan treat!
Chocolate Indulgence Cake
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk (e.g. almond or soy)
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, raw cacao powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the non-dairy milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and white vinegar until well combined.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan. Serve as is or top with your favorite vegan frosting.
This raw cacao vegan cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. The rich and chocolatey flavor of the raw cacao is complemented by the sweetness of the sugar and the creaminess of the coconut oil. This cake is both delicious and guilt-free, so go ahead and indulge!
Chocolate Delight Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce, and vanilla extract together until well combined.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
5. Stir in the almond milk until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
6. Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop the dough in 1.5-tablespoon portions onto the prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are set and the tops are slightly cracked.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Enjoy your delicious raw cacao vegan cookies!