Vegan Chocolate Chip Blondie Recipe Perfect For The Holidays
Tis the season for fabulous food, and in this Nutrition Bite, we deliver with a scrumptious, vegan, Chocolate Chip Blondie recipe, featuring a health-promoting plant-based ingredient you’d never expect…chickpeas!
That’s right, the base for this yummy treat is one of our favorite legumes. And why do we feel so strongly about it, you may ask?
Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) are incredible for your health! Here are just a few of their amazing benefits…
- Chickpeas are a great source of numerous micronutrients that are vital to promoting overall health, including folate, iron, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, AND potassium
- With 14 grams of protein in just a ½ cup serving, chickpeas are also a wonderful way to meet your protein needs and get those vegains (vegan + muscle gains)
- They’re also packed with the ultimate tool for better health, fiber! One ½ cup serving contains 4 grams of the super-nutrient that is key in improving digestion, managing weight and appetite, and maintaining a healthy gut
How incredible is that? Now, the best part of this easy recipe is how gooey, soft, fudgy, moist, rich and yummy it is…but don’t take our word for it, whip up a batch and see for yourself!
Chocolate Chip Blondies
This recipe is gluten-free, grain-free, protein-rich, AND can be made nut-free!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- One 15 oz can (265 g) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) plant-based milk
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80 g) nut butter or seed butter of choice (We prefer cashew butter)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100 g) xylitol (or sugar of choice)
- 3/4 cup (90 g) ground almonds (almond flour) (*see recipe notes)
- 4 tbsp (28 g) ground flax seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup dairy-free (60 g) chocolate chips + more for the top
- Put all wet ingredients into a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Add all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) and mix again.
- Now add the chocolate chips and stir with a spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Spoon the batter into a lined baking pan. Note: The baking dish in our video measures 9″x6″ (23 x 15 cm).
- Top with more chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes (it can take some minutes more or less, depending on your oven and the size of your baking dish).
- Let cool, then cut into bars. They will be still soft at first, but firm up more once cooled down. If an even firmer texture is desired, you can stick them in the fridge for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- We recommend using a kitchen scale for this recipe. Check the video below for easy visual instructions.
- You can use any ground nuts instead of ground almonds/almond flour. For a nut-free version try ground hemp seeds or ground shredded unsweetened coconut. I wouldn’t recommend coconut flour since it contains less fat than almond flour and furthermore absorbs a lot of liquid.
- Any nut butter like peanut butter, cashew butter works fine. For a nut-free version use coconut butter. I wouldn’t recommend sunflower seed butter as it will turn the blondies green unless you leave out the baking powder and baking soda (don’t ask me how I know, haha).
Want more delectable plant-based dishes? In our VegHealth Plant-Based Made Easy Cookbook, we include over 200 tasty vegan recipes that make thriving on a plant-based diet easy as pie! (Pumpkin Pie With Tofu Whipped Cream, that is…which is just one of the mouthwatering recipes you’ll gain access to!)